Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Getting Through the Afternoon with a Cup of Tea



Mornings always seem to be hectic for me.  There's the hubby's lunch to pack, dishes to put away, the occasional stray dish from a late night snack, laundry, dog to feed, email to check...and the list goes on and on.  There isn't usually time for breakfast around my house.  I'm too busy getting ready for my day, preparing a check-list formatted to-do list, tidying up, and petting my dog, Daisy.

The mornings are almost always filled with action, excitement, adventure, and so much more.  But then the afternoon hits.  The clock slows down and so does life.  Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time staying awake, active, and un-sluggish between the hours of 2pm and 5pm?

This is what I refer to as my "downtime."  There's usually still lots to be accomplished, but after the morning's work is done for the day...I'm usually ready for a nap!  The only exception to this are the days that I get groceries for my hubby and I.

So how do we get past those "afternoon blues?"  Some people eat chocolate, some go and take a brisk walk, some play with their children or pets, some are yawning in their chair at the office, and yet others are hitting the pillow for just a small nap.  Why is it that the afternoons always seem to drag on and the rest of the day goes by at the speed of light?!

To help my sleepiness in the afternoons, I like to have a nice cup of something HOT and steamy.  Usually it's a cup of flavored coffee with some cream and a pinch of sugar.  I'm addicted to my Keurig Coffee Maker.  For those of you who don't have one...let me introduce you to the greatest thing in single serve coffee...Keurig.  I know that we shouldn't "love" things, because the break, give out, etc.  But this is the one item in my house that would be replaced the VERY next day if it ever broke.  Oh Keurig, how I love you!

But today, I wasn't in the mood for coffee.  I was in the mood for something with a little spice to it.  TAZO makes some wonderfully rich teas, but perhaps my favorite is their "Organic Chai."  I usually add a little CoffeeMate Italian Sweet Cream to my cup and today was no different.  I also just ordered a new tea from TAZO called "Ultimate Spiced Chai."  I can't wait to try this one.

What is it about that nice hot drink that makes us relax, yet perks us up, and even better makes the afternoon seem to slip by just a little faster?  As I sit here in my living room, staring at the drying pendants on my studio table, and listening to my dog snore I have a thought: I'm not sure that I'll ever get used to the "lazy afternoon" drag that takes place so often...but for now, I'm enjoying it.



(((Even my dog, Daisy,  can't resist a good cup of coffee!!!)))

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...