![]() |
| Luke's Lunch |
So, after recently stepping on the scale, my hubby and I began our diets again today. My husband and I both eat very healthfully, however our portions are WAY TOO BIG and far to generous. So, really it's not a "diet" per se, but rather a conscious way of eating. I've already lost over 20 pounds, due mostly to my surgery...but I'd love to learn to eat healthier, and trim off an additional 10 pounds!
![]() |
| My Breakfast |
![]() |
| My Lunch |
I'm excited and I'm ready for the challenge. I've never been thin, but I've never been horribly overweight either. I currently wear a 14, I would like to be back into my 10's! I guess I should state that this isn't so much a diet. According to a lot of my research, dieting refers to limitations. My husband and I aren't limiting ourselves...I'm not buying all "low-fat," "reduced fat," "lean," or styrofoam products (ha ha ha). I'm still buying the same products...we're just eating less, trying to become healthy, together. Our ministry is together as a team, our marriage is definitely team work...so why shouldn't this be as well.
Here's what my plan thus far includes: walking my considerably overweight (but adorable) pooch every day, cutting down portion sizes, and following some very strict rules. According to research there are several things that help you to lose weight. Here's what I've found:
- Drink a FULL glass of water before every meal. Not only will it aide in digestion, but it also helps you to feel fuller, making you eat less.
- ALWAYS eat from a plate/bowl. This means, no stuffing my hand in the bag of pretzels over & over. The reality is I have no idea how much I've actually eaten...and neither do you if you're doing the same thing.
- Use a SMALLER plate. This helps not only to make you feel fuller, because your plate is full, but you are less likely to overeat. So STOP putting your salad in a bowl and your entree and side dish on a plate. Use ONE plate and put it ALL on there...this will help you eat smaller portions and feel more full.
- Make my plate colorful! Colorful means vitamins & nutrients. I'm aiming for greens, red/oranges, and less of the white stuff (carbs).
- No eating dinner in front of the TV. This happens about twice a week at our home. Why? Because it's usually the ONLY time we have to watch a movie. So we take our plates to the living room and prop down with TV trays. Why is this a problem? According to research, people who eat while working on the computer or watching television are four times as likely to overeat. The reason? You're ignoring you "I'm feeling full" mechanism, which causes you to overeat. Also by being distracted you forget how much you've actually eaten. (ie: When you eat, do only that...EAT...and take your time doing it)
- Take out lunches BEFORE we eat. Usually we do this, eat until we're happy and full. THEN, we put leftovers in containers for Luke & I to pack for lunch. We're going to start doing this backward once again. FIRST take lunch meals out...THEN fill plates for dinner. This will automatically decrease our portion sizes. Not to mention that without "leftovers" sitting on the stove, when there's an empty pot, it's hard to find seconds!
- Write down or take pictures of every meal and/or snack you eat. This allows you to visually see how much food you've eaten. This leads to eating less and feeling full longer.
So, with one day of healthy eating under my belt and a delicious (yet nutritious) lunch packed for hubby, it's time to begin planning my lunch. Hmmm...what to have. I'll keep you posted on how hubby and I are both doing in our "diets" and change of lifestyle. We began this journey together on May 16, 2011...let's see where it goes from here.
Don't forget to become our "friend" on facebook to see pictures of some of the awesome meals that I'm going to prepare to help us trim our waistlines!




7 comments:
Goodluck! sounds like a great plan. I am also starting some kind of "diet" today - which for me is just counting calories because in the past 3 years its the only way I can loose.
Thank you! It's only 2pm and I'm hungry.....bummer.
I'm with you on the diet. I've went from a size 14 down to an 8 in just a few months. How do I do it: NO PORK, Very little sugar, NO HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP, NO oils except olive oil, No soda pop, No fast food, DO eat lots of healthy salads with fresh veggies including avocado, using only olive oil for dressing, lots of water, healthy whole grain bread with preservatives, Eat very little perservatives..... Eat meat once per day. Just some of the things that work for me. Everyone is different and it's hard being hungry, but I've found that I have to be a little unsatisfied with food to lose weight. Oh, I don't eat after 6:30pm. The best to you!
uniquecozytreasures says: That's whole grain bread WITHOUT preservatives.
Good tips and good plan! Good luck
what a great idea. My hubby and I keep saying we need to lose weight (me over 100 pounds), but we never actually start. All the ideas are great, except one. I hate my hot food and cold food touching. I only eat lettuce on a salad, not on sandwiches, burgers, tacos, etc because lettuce is supposed to be cold! So I will have to use seperate plates/bowls, but I like the idea of using smaller ones. I've found that eating on paper plates helps too, if you buy the cheap ones. I'm afraid they will break, so I dont put a lot of food on them. Hehehe, one of the good things about not having our "stuff" delivered yet.
Lovely Plan :) No starving or cutting off things altogether.,I need to get on one too..Thanks for sharing Katie..Hopefully some of this will stay with me:)
Post a Comment